Grade A Journalist – Fairfax Regional Media
October 2016 – June 2017
Publication(s): Flinders News, Northern Argus, and Barossa Herald
Employed as a regional Journalist for Fairfax Regional Media, I worked as part of a skilled team of local reporters who developed multimedia content with a digital-first strategy.
During my employment, I developed professionally by reacting and learning to shift in ways to enhance my stories the way my audience wanted them. I did this by embracing video and photography, balancing as many interactive elements into local stories as possible without creating distracting or confusing content. This included approaching stories with an open mind and responding to feedback.
I also worked to enhance the Northern Argus’s social media reach by posting native content which peaked organic reach and increased shareability – thus increasing ‘likes’. To improve Twitter post reach, I opted to retweet official tweets with hashtags on my personal profile – allowing stories to reach as many people as possible without disrupting the automative process.
My work in dot points
My position required me to;
– Work as part of a fast paced and passion news team.
– Pitch, chase and produce stories abiding by a digital-first strategy.
– Write and create articles accurately and quickly.
– Manage time efficiently.
– Liaison with the Editor.
– Work within the parameters of a vision.
– Be available to work at a moments notice (when news breaks).
– Manage social media postings.
– Establish professional and social relationships.
– Develop news ideas and create entertaining and informative content.
– Rehash stories for print.
– Work to a deadline.
Examples of Work
Local Stories about Events and People
Articles with Interactive Elements
Local Sports Reporting
I have print versions of my best story available at request. If you’d like to see these, please connect with me using the contact tab above and let me know.
Photojournalism of People and Places
Photojournalism of Local Sport
Social Media Videos