Journalist – NewsCorp (The Messenger)
October 2016 – June 2017
Publication(s): The Northern Messenger
The Messenger is the weekly free newspaper covering local and community news throughout the Adelaide metropolitan area.
There are 11 districts, each with their own community paper, which contain stories and advertisements targeting their area. Each paper has separate editors and journalists who pitch stories and product content relevant to their round. Some stories are published in The Advertiser, a statewide tabloid newspaper, and online at adelaidenow.com.au and news.com.au – pending news worthiness.
The Messenger’s main office is situated on Waymouth St, in the same building as The Advertiser, Sunday Mail, The Australian and other News Corp publications. I was stationed here and at the Salisbury branch.
My work in dot points
My position required me to;
– Work as part of a fast paced and passion news team.
– Pitch, chase and produce stories abiding by a digital-first strategy.
– Write and create articles accurately and quickly.
– Manage time efficiently.
– Liaison with the Editor.
– Work within the parameters of a vision.
– Be available to work at a moments notice (when news breaks).
– Manage social media postings.
– Establish professional and social relationships.
– Develop news ideas and create entertaining and informative content.
– Rehash stories for print.
– Work to a deadline.
Examples of work:
High-quality PDF copies available on request